If you are thinking of living downtown, who will be your neighbors? This posting attempts to answer that question by looking at the most recent census data for 78701. 78701 is the predominant downtown zip code: it includes the area between the lake and MLK blvd and between Lamar and I-35. Virtually every project covered by AustinTowers is within these boundaries. The data is very interesting, but be warned, the downtown market is changing fast and their is always a lag with demographic information — so next year’s information will be very different as thousands of new residents continue to migrate downtown. In 8 years, the downtown population is expected to grow by a factor of 5.
So who lives downtown?
– 4,322 people
– Not that many people ( just 4,322 at last count)
– Mostly Men (65% men and 35% women)
– Well Educated (52% have college degree v. 26% across Texas)
– Racially Diverse (61% white, 21% Hispanic, 9% African American, 3% Asian)
– Single, No kids (94% of households do not have kids, 22% households are married couples)
– Age groups without Kids (Lots of people 20-40 and over 70, very few people under 20)
– High Income ($55K per capita v. $21K across Texas)
See the full demographic profile here.